At Healing Motion Physical Therapy, we strongly support Oregon’s physical distancing and stay at home mandates. We also strive, as is our vision, to steward the potential and facilitate the development of personal excellence – mind, body, and soul. The importance of this is heightened during times like these. While presently doing so is not without its unique challenges, it’s not impossible!
To this end, we are providing links to various resources we hope you’ll find helpful during this time. In addition, we welcome any suggestions you may have, and urge you to share these via private messenger through our Facebook page or email through our website!
Mind includes Intellectual, Emotional Knowledge, Understanding, and Self-worth
- Want to learn more about … Anything? The Great Courses Plus offers courses on hundreds of different subjects. Try a 1 month free trial and listen to or watch on your TV, laptop, tablet, or smartphone!
- Keep your mind sharp with cognitive training! Lumosity offers a free app with several games to challenge your speed, memory, attention, flexibility, problem solving, math, and language skills. The games adapt to your skill level, so you’ll always enjoy a good challenge while flexing your mind muscles!
- Headspace is a personal guide to mindfulness, including meditation exercises, a “move mode” for mind and body fitness, and sleep sounds and exercises. Try a 2 week free trial of the Headspace app. In addition, Headspace is now offering, free to everyone, meditations and movement and sleep exercises as part of their “Weathering the Storm” collection in an effort to support you through the COVID-19 crisis.
- Calm and Abide are also helpful apps! Calm helps with general stress and anxiety management, while Abide does the same while incorporating Christian faith meditations.
Body includes Physical and Financial Health
- Check out Samaritan Athletic Medicine’s Facebook Page and their “Quarantine Fitness Episodes.” Whether you’re looking for general mobility, cardio, strengthening, etc., there is something here for everyone!
- Check out Crossfit at the Shop’s Workout of the Day for daily workouts with minimal to no equipment.
- Splendid Barre, Willamette Valley Power Yoga, Burn Boot Camp, and Orange Theory Fitness are all offering live online class options.
- Consider a free 1 month trial with Gymondo, with access to 20 fitness programs and 200+ workouts adapted to your fitness level and goals.
***If you would like some additional guidance on what types of physical activities and exercises may be most appropriate for you, please contact us with your questions, or better yet, ask us about Telehealth Physical Therapy we offer out of both our Philomath and Corvallis clinics***
- If you would like to get outside, AllTrails is a resource for trail guides and maps. They also provide some great information on how to get outside responsibly during the current COVID-19 crisis. In addition, the AllTrails app allows for filtered searches to find those options most appropriate, including difficulty, length, elevation gain, activity, attractions, suitability, route type, and trail traffic. Do remember the majority of national forests and all Oregon state parks have closed. However, other options remain, and you can check on availability with local authorities before heading out.
- In “A Message of Hope,” Dave Ramsey, Rachel Cruze and Ken Coleman answer your top questions about money, career and life during this time of uncertainty.
- Try a 2 week free trial of Financial Peace University, a personal finance plan that teaches how to pay off debt, budget, save money, and give generously.
- The free EveryDollar Budget app helps you create a monthly budget to decrease financial stress and increase financial confidence.
Soul includes Spiritual Wellness and Social Relationships
- In his 2020 Daily Meditations, Fr. Richard Rohr, OFM, draws largely from the Christian faith, and to a lesser extent, from other faiths and fields of study, to foster opening to God’s loving presence. Connect with God, and understand what action is yours to take, and what isn’t. You can sign up for an email subscription, and select the frequency that works best for you – daily, weekly, or monthly. This is free, and you may unsubscribe at any time.
- Guidposts.org provides a one minute daily devotion followed by a brief prayer. Their Prayer app is a resource to submit prayer requests, schedule prayer reminders, create prayer lists, pray for others, and foster your faith journey with daily Bible verses, reflections, and prayers.
In addition, many churches are now streaming Sunday services online so that you may connect with church family and community. Remember, you can practice social distancing without spiritually distancing.
- In addition to other similar platforms such as FaceTime and Skype, Zoom is another option for video communication with those you can’t physically be present with, and their app is available for free.
- Connect with others and get lost in a good book through arranging a virtual book club! Book Club by BookMovement is just one of many available apps you can use to do this!
- If you’re a mom with kids under the age of 5, check out HOME Group which is providing weekly content, motivation, and online social opportunities for moms just like you! Email them to get added to their private Facebook page.
Other ideas on how to connect with others while social distancing include arranging a virtual board game night using a video communication platform and/or one of many virtual board game apps, or watching a movie “together” at the same time. Of course, there are other more traditional methods, such as going for a walk respecting social distancing guidelines, talking on the phone, or even writing a good ol’ fashioned letter!
We hope any of the above resources are helpful for you in this challenging time of physical distance required by COVID-19. Our philosophy of caring for our mind, body, and soul is nothing new, it’s just heightened during this time. Hopefully you can use this time to establish some good “self care” routines and continue as a better you even when things are back to normal! If you have any questions about any of the above, please don’t hesitate to call or email us with questions!
Together, we will get through COVID-19 and the need to stay home. In the meanwhile, all we can do is listen to our healthcare experts and government officials and try to make the most out of a difficult circumstance. We can only control what we can control and that can be striving to grow in our personal excellence of our mind, body and soul!
Keep working to move, heal, excel!
– Healing Motion Team